Friday, June 6, 2014

Elite for a Day, Part 2

Shamrock 8k
Elite for a Day
Part 2



Even though I am writing this almost 3 months later, the memories of that day are so vivid. I would love to just spew them out like a broken faucet spews water, but it would be impossible and probably a bit boring for you. Plus I am a horrible writer and it would be a jumbled mess! But there are some things, some moments, I would like to share. The first being about my training. My mental training. I have been in a running funk for quit sometime. Doubting myself, thinking I have hit my peak and it's all downhill from here. I was just not having fun. You would think the opportunity in itself would be all the motivation I would need to happily lace up day after day, but it wasn't. I had to go deeper. 

Luckily, The Shamrock also happens to be during Lent. This year I took on a 40 days of Lent challenge. It involved daily tasks which were meant to help you grow in your faith.  No, I didn't simply pray to God for me to win the race. I prayed for strength and courage. Strength to get through the training. Courage to believe in myself and for God, The Saints, and my Guardian Angel to run at my side and give me strength when I needed it. Physical, mental, or both. You can draw so much strength from a simple bible verse, it's amazing. I had this hanging in front of my work station.

Ok, pretend the post-it isn't there. It was a little motivational quote my co-worker wanted to share with me!
 
I would read these periodically throughout the day and right before I would clock out and go for my workout. My favorites is; Be strong and courageous, for your work will be rewarded. Chronicles 15:7. That one gave me strength at the end of a long work day to get my run in.
 
On March 14th, the day before the race, one of the tasks was to pray the prayer taken from St. Patrick's breastplate. I thought how fitting that this would come today and how perfect it would be to also pray this on the morning of the race. If you don't know the prayer, here is an excerpt from it:


Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,

Christ in every ear that hears me.
 
I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation.
 
 
I drew so much strength from just letting it be in Gods hands. It took (some) of the stress off my shoulders. My faith in God gave me faith in myself. I think half the battle, well at least half the battle, with running is overcoming doubts and believing that you can do this. This being different for everyone. I believe my mental preparation for this race was more important for me than any other aspect of my training.  My this was believing in myself to keep a steady pace to cross the finish line before the Elites. 
 
 
Race Day coming up next!
 
 
 

 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. LOVE this!! I was so happy for you when you won!! It must have been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! It was an amazing experience! I will never forget it.

      Delete