Friday, May 9, 2014

MIYE 2104 Race #3


One of my New Years resolutions was to decrease my time on social media and to only blog when I felt inspired to do so. That resolution or lack of inspiration/motivation/or time left me with a 3+ month hiatus and a cliff hanger of a blog post. Well, I'm back. At least for now. Here is what happened at the MIYE....


The 3rd and final race of the 2014 MIYE Series. This years races have lived up to their names. Mud, mud and more mud! Plus the last race had lots of snow thrown in to keep things interesting. 

My back was feeling better, but I was still afraid that at any moment one wrong step would end any chance I had at finishing, let alone placing. The morning started out cold and the cross country trail through woods and across the campus of Virginia Wesleyan was snow covered. We had gotten at least 8 inches of snow earlier in the week and that is not something I am used to running in! 

My strategy was simple, stay within a quarter mile of my competition and I should be ok to place, after all I did have about a 1:20 lead going into the race. As the race started and a snow packed trail was formed, with most runners running single file, I fell into place just paces behind my competition. 

Forced to take two weeks off due to sickness and my latest back injury my endurance was lacking to say the least! I was sucking wind almost immediately and tried hard to keep pace with the pack of single file runners. I would love to tell you that the trails were beautiful covered in snow, but honestly all I saw was a white, foot wide trail as I stared at the ground for 5 miles. My stride was short and with every step I slide from side to side. Somewhere in mile 2 I left the pack of single file runners and trudged up ahead leaving my competition behind. I know this deviated from my strategy, but it wanted to get a move on. I was not enjoying this race and wanted it to be over. 

By mile 4 I was beat and my calves were on fire. It was obvious that my pace was deteriorating because more and more people were passing me, including my competition. I wasn't worried though. I figured with a 1:20 lead I would still beat her as long as I stayed close, we were almost done. 

Well, I was wrong. I played it too safe. I was so afraid that I was going to slip and re-injure myself that I was moving at a snails pace allowing that 1:20 lead to slip away. I didn't realized how slow I was going until the end when my 4 year old was yelling at me to go faster! Oops. I ended up falling to second place by 3 seconds.  3 fricken seconds.



Moral of the story, never give up until you are across the finish line. Only then is your time safe. Duh. Oh well, live and learn. At least I didn't hurt myself and I took home a pretty cool trophy and medal. Thanks Mettle Events!

Two Second Place Trophies, Individual 35-39 Female and Co-ed Team
Finisher Medal Center



 
My running buddy Randi took 3rd female overall!







Team Old and Slow took 2nd place.



This is a great race series and I had fun running through the mud and snow. It's crazy how our weather here changes so quickly and drastically in only a few short weeks. Race #1 was warm and muddy, #2 was bitterly cold and muddy, and #3 was cold and snowy. Never a dull moment! Hopefully, I can do it again next year.

 

Stay tuned....lots to catch up on including my 15 minutes of fame as the J&A Shamrock Elite for the Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment