Saturday, January 11, 2014

Mud In Your Eye is coming up!!!

This weekend is the first of 3 races in the Mud in Your Eye Cross Country Series. I ran it for the first and only time in 2011. I was a novice runner and to didn't have many races under my belt.  Long story short, going into race 3 I was in third place for my age group, which I was ecstatic about! I couldn't believe it. I knew what I had to do to keep 3rd. The first and second place runners were minutes ahead of me so there was no catching them and the 4th place runner was minutes behind me. I felt safe, confident and happy that I would take home 3rd. To my surprise at the end of race three, while we were waiting for the awards, I took a quick look at the result sheet and I was in first. I was confused and thought it was a misprint or I was reading it wrong! Nope. #1 didn't show for race three and I think #2 rolled her ankle on a pine cone, because I ended up beating her by a considerable amount of time, pushing me to first and her to like 3rd or 4th. I felt bad for her, but as you can imagine, very happy for me and a first place finish.

This year I am looking to not only to improve my times on these courses by a good 2 to 4 minutes per race, I am looking to get a fair and square place, hopefully first place. I'm proud of my performance 3 years ago, but I am a much more experienced and fit runner than I was back then, so I am anxious and excited to see how I do.

Race #1 is a 5k at Bells Mill Park. Race #2 is a 6k up and down the hills of Mt. Trashmore (no that isn't a typo, it is landfill turned park). And race #3 is an 8k on the cross country course of VA Wesleyan College. I am looking forward to seeing how I have changed and improved in these past three years.

So much has changed in my life since then and I have so many races under my belt and miles on my legs. I do speed work and tempo runs now. My  running wardrobe has for sure improved! I now own tech clothes. I think I  wore wind pants, a long sleeve cotton t-shirt with a cotton t-shirt over that last time, maybe a hoodie? I didn't own a sweaty band or a Garmin and Lululemon might not have existed? At least not to me! It's funny how things change. Well, please wish me luck!


Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we can not see. Hebrews 11:1

No comments:

Post a Comment