Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Wicked 10K

 
The Wicked is brought to you by  J & A Racing, the same folks that put on the Shamrock Marathon weekend. It's a great race and always good for some laughs. People are so creative and talented when coming up with some of the costumes we saw. I however, am not.

I know I look like I crashed a Wonder Woman convention. I can assure you that that wasn't the case. This years Wicked had me strapped for time and creativity as to what costume to wear.  I was going to recycle my Bat Girl costume from last year, but I thought it might be too cold for it. So, I went with the lame skull shirt you see glaring at you.  
 
What wasn't lame was how well I ran. I haven't run that well or felt that good in a long time. This past year had me fighting runners brain during most of my races. "Why do I do this to myself?" "How much further?" "Maybe I should walk for a bit?" Not this time. I was mentally in it. I gave myself one goal and that was to have a negative split.

My training had fallen off after The Colonial, but I felt good and not strained, so I kept a 7:55 pace that first mile. Mile 2 was 7:58. I was waiting for my mind to step in and sabotage a great race, but what got me was a damn cramp! I took water at about mile 2 and as soon as we made the turn onto the boardwalk I felt it, a sharp stab in my side. I dealt with that during miles 3 and most of mile 4. It didn't slow me down too much, but enough to keep me from a sub 50 min 10k. Mile 3 was 8:13 and 4 was 8:23. Mile 5 I was settling back into a quicker pace at 8:08 and mile 6 had me back at  sub 8 mm at 7:58. The last .2 miles was 7:28. I thought I was going to puke! I hadn't pushed it like that in a long time.  I was so pumped. I am still so happy that I actually raced again and didn't let my head screw things up!
 
I am so so happy with my time! I know I didn't technically achieve my goal of a negative split, but I ran faster and much stronger than I had expected and I can't be mad at that.

This was also race 13 for the year. I had set out to do 13 in 2013 and I did it. All but four races were virtual and depending on who you ask, I met my goal. I am contemplating getting in 4 more 5k's before the clock strikes 2014 to make up for the virtuals. Running 13 races was a challenge for my tight schedule, even if they weren't all "real", so we will see about 4 more!

Anyone else doing 13 in 13? Were they all "real" races? Have you met or exceeded your goal?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on 13 in 13! I need to set a fun goal like that for next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! It definitely kept me signing up for races! I need a new goal in 2014 though, maybe 14 5k's.

      Delete