Sunday, November 3, 2013

Colonial 200 2013

Yes, I know this race was well over a month ago (seems longer), but well, life has been busy! That and I really didn't know how to sum up my weekend of running. I still really don't, but here goes nothing...

Colonial 200 Relay
September 20-21
207 miles from Charlottesville to Williamsburg, Virginia
 
The beginning...
0600 gun time.
 
Van 1 started bright and early. I could have stayed asleep, but I had to make it out and see what I was in for later in the day. I had no idea what to expect. It was dark and quiet, except for the energy of the runners. My van, van #2 wouldn't start our legs until around 10 am.
 
Leg 1: Fresh and ready to concur the mountain.

 
My first leg was 5.76 miles and 456 ft of elevation gain in the first 2 miles. The rest was down hill and downhill I went. Fast. The scenery was fantastic and I got my first and only "kill" of the weekend. I ended up averaging a 9 minute mile.
 
My Kill
 
 
This was a weekend of firsts!
  • It was the first time my training had me running twice a day.
  • It was the first time I ran a relay.
  • It was the first time I slept in a tent. (I know. Hanging head in shame. For as much as I love the outdoors, I have never slept outside.)
  • It was the first time I slept in a tent next to a graveyard. (I was so tired I could have cared less.)

The view from our tent.


  • It was the first time I brushed my teeth with bottled water in a soy bean field.
  • It was the first time I used nothing but porta-potties for 2 days.
  • It was the first time I ran 18 almost 19 miles in less than 24 hours.
  • It was the first time I ran through rural VA in the pitch black holding a can of OC spray praying to God that the bears wouldn't get me!
Leg #2: So glad this is blurry. You can't see the terror on my face!
Oh leg 2. The one leg I was most excited about. I really wasn't scared about running through bear infested back roads  in the dark until I started running. For some dumb reason I thought this itty bitty headlamp would be enough to light my way. Um no. I started to double guess myself and kept thinking I missed my turn. So I chickened out and called my van for backup. Two miles later here come my hero's with a flash light and a buddy to run with me. Thanks AJ! Numerous stops for map checks and phone calls put me at an 8:25 pace for 4.91 miles.
 
I also learned some things...
  • Wet wipes are for more than just wiping baby bottoms.
  • I can get sick of peanut butter and honey sandwiches.
  • A 6inch sub for dinner is not enough food while running that many miles.
  • A "kill" in relay terms is when you pass another runner. I think I only had one kill, but I'm pretty proud that it was on "The Mountain." 
  • My body actually doesn't mind running two days in a row. I had myself believing that I couldn't' recover quickly enough to have a decent second run. I was wrong.

 
 
Leg #3: 8.34 miles on a scenic path that winds through Charles City.
 
I am not going to lie. I was dying during my third leg. My legs were so sore from:
 
A. 3 miles of down hills I ran in my first leg 
B. My midnight sprint through the woods 
C. all of the above
 
The first few miles were ok, but 6 and 7 were torture. I stopped at some point to gather myself. And by gather myself I mean stretch my quads. I ended up averaging a 9:30 pace for those 8 miles. Not bad considering every step was painful. 
 
Our last runner crossed the finish line 32 hours, 14 minutes and 13 seconds after the clock started the day before. I was so proud of everyone and so grateful to have been able to run this and with such a great group of people.
 
 
The Lawless and The Braless
 

 
 

 
King of the Mountain
Proudest moment: I earned the title King of the Mountain for concurring leg # 8 Preddy's Creek. It was the most elevation of any of the 36 legs. When I rounded the corner and was coming into the exchange zone both vans of my teammates were there to cheer me on and crown me King of the Mountain. It was awesome.
 
I had such a great experience. I would absolutely do another relay and with these same people. Our team captains did an amazing job organizing everything. Thanks so much for letting me be part of it!
Our overall results were 17th out of 26 teams and 11th out of 18 for the mixed teams.

 You can check out more at http://www.colonial200.com.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment