Friday, August 23, 2013

Must be nice to be young!

Yesterday I came across this blogger, This Fish Can Run. He had a great post: "Pose Running- Does Pose Running work or is it great coaching?"  I personally think its about coaching correct running form. Whether you choose Chi or Pose or what have you. It's about correcting biomechanical flaws that slow you down,  tire you out, and put you at risk for injury.

Last year when I was dealing with my ITB friction syndrome my PT friend Dave, helped me overcome some treadmill related/created heal striking I developed doing speed work.  He would be the first to tell you that he is not a running coach or a running form coach, but he understands the way the body should move. Since we ruled out every other possible treatment besides ITB window surgery, we went to my form, which sucked. There really is no nice way to say it. It was horrible and I had no idea! So long story short, we worked on correcting my heel strike, my leaning back, and getting my cadence up to speed. Three things that both, Chi Running and Pose Running have in common. (Now I am not an expert in either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! For real though, not only did I did read half of Chi Running-which makes me an expert right there, I do have a degree in kinesiology and sports medicine. So it makes complete sense to me why I was having such a hard time over coming my knee pain.
 
 
Before and afters of my running transformation. See how my foot lands under me in the second picture and how my knee is actually bent? It was seriously an epiphany, lol!
 
 
Back to Fish. Why is Fish's post important and why the heck is it nice to be young? !?! Well, I am in the mist of my training for The Colonial 200 and I find myself slogging through my runs. My calves are a big ball of knots thanks to hill work on the treadmill and my pace is abhorrently slow. I was out this morning and by mile 2 I was slowing down and could feel my body leaning back and lumbering side to side with each step. Then a light bulb came on! Turn your metronome on. So I did. I set it to 170 bpm.  Which is what Dave and I decided was my natural cadence and close enough to 180 bpm. Just that simple queue of ding, ding, ding, DING, ding, ding, ding, DONG Ding. Was enough to get my feet moving faster and with much less effort. I could feel myself leaning into the run, instead of against it. When I looked down at my Garmin I was running much faster than I was 2 miles ago. It is amazing what a little tweaking to your running form can do! And here is the kicker, I was running though a golf course/retirement community and this cute older lady walking towards me puts her hand up to her mouth, smiles, and shouts at me "Must be nice to be young!" I don't know about young,  but it is nice to feel alive!

Photo: I thought about the days I had handed over to a bottle... the nights I can't remember... the mornings I slept thru... all the time spent running from myself. 

– Mitch Albom (For One More Day)

www.ilovetorun.org | 'U' in the RUN
 

No comments:

Post a Comment