Thursday, August 8, 2013

Leaving My Comfort Zone

The Colonial 200 Relay is just over 7 weeks away and this week marks my first real week of training. Last week was more of a recovery week from my big team win at the Military Challenge OCR.

So what is different about training for a relay vs. a standard race? Well, for me it's about getting out of my comfort zone by adding hill work and running more than 3 times per week! I actually will be running not only back to back days, but every other week running 3 times in a two day period. As much as I love to run, I don't love to run a lot. I stick to the 3 quality runs a week program and for the most part it works for me. This way I get physical and mental rest days, but for the next 7 weeks I will be running 4 days per week and sometimes twice on Saturday. My outline is posted here.

Since I live in the flattest city on earth and I consider a curb hill work (I'm not exaggerating), I will be utilizing the treadmill for this. I am still trying to figure out what elevation gain is and if my Garmin monitors it! On Monday I had my first go at this so called hill work. Did you know that the grade goes above 1%? Me either. Mine went all the way to 7%! A very speedy marathoner friend of mine gave me this workout to do:
 
90 seconds @ 6% grade @ marathon pace
1 minute recovery at flat jog
1 minute @ 7% grade @ marathon pace
2 minute recovery at flat jog
 
repeat 6-10 reps
 
 
I made it through 5 times with a warm-up and cool down run for 4 miles even. I would have done another set, but I had to get going to a chiropractor appointment. No, I didn't shower. Yes, I at least changed my clothes. Yes, my hair was still sweaty. I know, gross.

On Wednesday I did a 4 mile moderate pace run. It wasn't really a tempo run, just 4 miles in the heat of the day. Tomorrow I have an easy 3 planned and then Saturday will be my long run. I was thinking 8. Next week I will split my long run into a.m. and p.m. runs to start mimicking what race weekend will be like.

I still haven't gotten my legs assigned, the course isn't finalized yet. I did get the update on our team name....it's was Show Me Your Hands, but has been changed to The Lawless and the Bra-less. Not sure who will be bra-less, but it won't be me.  I am running with a bunch of police officers so I will just roll with it. I wonder if they will let me barrow one of their tasers for my night leg?

No comments:

Post a Comment