Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I need to get my arse in gear!!!!

The Colonial 200 is only 8 weeks away and I haven't really started to train properly for it. Well that all changes next week. On Saturday I am running The Military Challenge OCR and after that it's go time!

I've been checking out some training plans online and it seems I not only need to increase mileage, but also frequency. I usually run 3 times per week, speed work, tempo and a long run, with at least a day in between for cross training.  I need to add a day of running and then alternate my long run with running twice in one day. So a two week cycle will look like this:

Week 1
Sunday-rest
Monday-run hills (treadmill hills)
Tuesday-strength train
Wednesday-run
Thursday-strength train
Friday-easy run
Saturday-long run

Week 2
Sunday-rest
Monday-run hills (treadmill hills)
Tuesday-strength train
Wednesday-run
Thursday-strength train
Friday-easy run
Saturday-run in a.m./run in p.m.

I adapted this from a Ragner plan and from an online article from Runners World. I think RW had you maxing out at 14 miles. I can tell you right now that isn't going to happen, lol. I was thinking more like 10-12. I plan on enjoying this run, not trying to win gold. 

They did have some good advice on pacing and what to expect for the weekend. I am so looking forward to this experience I can't put it into words! Wish me luck so I will stay on track with my training! 

Anyone have any advice for me either on training or what to expect or essentials to pack?

No comments:

Post a Comment