Thursday, March 14, 2013

VA is for Runners 14K

VA is for Lovers Runners 14K




That is not me wearing a tutu! ;)
I have a race in 2 days and I just realized that I never wrote a recap of my 14k I did last month. I guess besides being incredibly busy, I just don’t have much to say about the race. Although, I did have fun running with my new friends!
 The weather was cold, windy, and kind of dreary. It was the kind of day that makes me want to stay home and bake or curl up on the couch, not run 8+ miles.
A 14k is not a usual race distance, but being February with Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, and being in Virginia where the state motto is Virginia is for Lovers, a 14K just makes sense.





I actually wanted to check this off my ‘local races to do list’ for a couple years. Plus, it fit in well with my half marathon training plan. My goal was to practice my pacing and to not only keep it even, but to get a negative split. Well the negative split still eludes me, but my pacing was much better. 

Here are my splits according to my Garmin:
Mile 1  8:01
Mile 2  8:16
Mile 3 8:19
Mile 4  8:35
Mile 5  8:28
Mile 6  8:35
Mile 7  8:37
Mile 8  9:06
last .65 8:09
 

The schwag was nice. We got these stem-less wine glasses, along with short sleeve tech shirts, and pink carnations at the finish line.  



 
 
 
The Shamrock 8k is coming in a couple days. I haven't raced this distance in a while and I hope to get a sub 40 minute PR. Wish my luck!
 

2 comments:

  1. Great job at this race and good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Good to hear from you :)
    This sounds like a 'love'ly race, a cute concept indeed.
    Its good to see u running with your friends, here the running bug has just caught so we dont have too many races... I hope that changes in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete