Friday, February 1, 2013

MRTT Winter Runnerland

Finally after months of planning and prepping for Winter Runnerland, a virtual race put on by Moms RUN This Town, we ran it! My local chapter made it a live event and I think it was well worth the effort. It got my running mommas out of the house on a cold winters day for some exercise and socializing. Some of them even walked away with some awesome prizes.

My co-conspirator, Lei had a brilliant idea to hold this just like a real race, complete with raffle prizes, shirts, schwag bags, and a nice little after party at a local pub. So, for the last few months we contacted numerous vendors for raffle prizes, ordered medals, picked race routes, collected items for our schwag bags, printed race bibs and raffle tickets, and the list goes on.

It even snowed two days before the event to provide us southern coastal girls with a little snow to really make it a Winter Runnerland.





The day before our local Fleet Feet store let us set up for packet pick-up. Thank you Robin!



Since it's a virtual race and we obviously don't do timing for the group, we had raffle prizes to be drawn at random after the run. We had some really generous people donate a lot of great stuff. Thank you everyone!
We had schwag bags for everyone...MRTT pens, temporary tattoos, discount cards from our great sponsors, Scenty products, Running Chics stickers, bibs, and shirts for those that ordered one. Unfortunately the whole one inch of snow we had kept a lot of the moms from coming to packet pickup. We get a dusting here and no one can drive for days. Being from the Buffalo area, I braved the snow and got to hand out packets to those who are also from the north and used to driving in sub-par conditions.

Race Day:
We met up at another running store to hit the trail nearby. You had the option of running a half, 10k or 5k. I was signed up for the 10k, but set out to do 10 miles with Randi.



Notice I said "set out to do ten", I had done 8 just two days before and I was feeling it. We got through 3.5 miles and I could feel myself getting slower and slower. Randi, however was running on fresh legs and I could tell I was going to just hold her back, so I sent her off ahead and I turned around and headed back to the store. Since I was solo, I decided to stop and take a couple of quick pictures, chit chat with Kate, another MRTTer, and just enjoy the run without worrying about my pace.  

When I got back, I headed over to the pub and started to set up for the post race festivities. We set up the raffle prizes and basically took over the pub. While we waited for everyone to finish, people mingled, ate and drank. One by one we called each finisher up and gave them their medal and raffled off the prizes. I think it was a huge success. It was great to finally meet so many of our members and catch up with some of the others. 


Raffle Prizes



Did you do the  Moms RUN This Town Winter Runnerland? If so did you do it solo or did you get together with some friends?




No comments:

Post a Comment