Saturday, January 5, 2013

Trail Running Gone Wrong


I have been sick, really sick. Some wonderful upper respiratory infection with flu-like symptoms has been going around. It started last Sunday after my run. I got home and couldn't shake the chill. You know the chill, the one that makes you stand in a steaming hot shower until the water runs cold. This chill turned into a deep ache and cold sweats which lasted the day and left me spending NYE with a  deep raspy cough, nothing a little Malibu and Coke couldn't make disappear, but then it was back on Thursday. This time, instead of ringing in the New Year with drinking and dancing, I was laid out on the couch again with chills and cold sweats. WTH! Not the best way to start the new year, let alone get my half training underway, which leads me to today and this gruesome picture!

 
 
That is my knee with a chunk of skin coming off. Trust me it's horrific! JK, but it was pretty bloody. I went trail running with my BRF (best running friend) Randi. (Btw, that should be in urban dictionary term.) Due to my recent illness and lack of fitness I was a little less agile on the trails today and out of nowhere I was attacked by a giant tree root! My toe clipped the root and sent me down. I wish I could say that I still had my youthful athleticism and was able to tuck and roll into the landing and pop right back up, the way I used to when I played goalkeeper, but I can't. I did try to tuck and roll, and it ended up being more like sliding into first across the sandy forest floor, but not before hitting my knee on yet another tree root leaving this bloody divot. Yay me!
 
Coincidentally, I was reading The Boring Runner just before writing this post and Adam posted this picture on Friday:
 
 
 
My tree root was definitely like the root on the left, but bigger! Maybe I should have read his blog before I went running? Would it have prevented my bloody knee? Probably not. I have fallen two times at First Landing, but nothing major. The trails can be pretty tricky out there. Earlier this fall while racing Run Like a Girl, I pasted several women who had become victims of the massive tree roots.
 
So here is my question for you....
During a race, in which a top 3 age group placing is at stake, would you stop to help someone who looked to have sustained a minor injury? Major injury? Why or why not?

6 comments:

  1. Ohh, I hope the kneww gets beeter fast and ur cold / cough / flu tooo!!

    By the way ur not alone when it comes to tripping / falling.There are times when am walking on a flat surfeace and still end up twisting my ankle .. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I am not the only one! :) Feeling much better today, now my husband is sick!

      Delete
  2. I would scream are you ok and keep going unless they said they need help. Most runners will not admit they need help unless its time to amputate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think I am screaming or talking loudly, but it is really a wisper as I am too busy sucking wind! Anyway, this is what I woul do too.

      Delete
  3. Not sure. I haven't been in the situation,yet. But I feel like I might see if they are ok and then move on, provided they are not dying.

    Nice blog, new follower and fellow 13 in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Of course if they were dying I would stop and do all I could to help. I was running the Rock n Roll half this past summer, it was so hot and humid that day, and just in front of me someone went down and immediately several runners stopped to help her. Thankfully there were no deaths but it does happen. :(

      Delete