Sunday, January 13, 2013

Flying Pirate


Hero

I am running the Flying Pirate Half Marathon on the Outer Banks of NC April 14.  After the holiday's and being sick I finally completed my first official training week today. Although, I wasn't able to log as many miles as I would have liked, I still feel pretty good about getting back into a training routine.

I plan on following Run Less Run Faster again this year. I had good success with it last year, shaving almost 30 minute off my PR time. I don't expect that again, but I hope to PR by 2 minutes. (I hope!)

My week in review:

Last Saturday I did a trail run that ended with a bloody knee. (I'm blaming that on my too tight new running shoes, which have been replaced and will be returned.)

Sunday was a rest day.

Monday I did some speed work. It has been a long time since I did any real speed work and although I had to cut it short and caused a depletion of oxygen in the gym, I was so excited and felt great once I was done.

Tuesday I did a bike workout. 35 minutes with (10) 1:00 sprint intervals.

Thursday was as challenge. I was suppose to do a tempo run. One mile warm-up another mile cool down with three miles at tempo in between. I warmed up, did a mile at tempo and had to take a walk break. Then I did another mile and another walk break and repeat. I ended up doing four miles, not the five I planned, or at the intensity I planned. I guess I am much more out of shape than I thought.

I ended up taking Friday and Saturday off. I had a conference to go to and pushed my long run to today. I almost slept in, but somehow managed to get up out of my nice cozy bed before the sunrise and ran over 7 miles. It was great! The weather was cool but not cold and it was foggy. It made for a very peaceful run. The best part of it was that I didn't need any walk breaks. Plus all my little aches and pains I usually get took the day off and let me just enjoy a nice long slow run.

I had two down falls to my training last year that I hope to avoid this year. (I know, didn't she just say she PR'd by 30 minutes?) I did but I wanted sub 1:50. So the two things I plan on doing this year is to follow the plan more closely. You are suppose to do 2-3 days of cross training in addition to your running. I didn't really do this. Secondly, I did not max out my long runs and my weekly mileage was short compared to the plan. I am going to add in 2 cross training days, one of which will be a bike workout and I plan on logging more miles. I am not their yet, but hopefully I will get there by the months end.

3 comments:

  1. 30 minutes??? that is superb rather outstanding! Can you please tell me more on Run Less run Faster, and the schedule you are following? Right now shaving ten minutes off seems like a task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to their website. It is a 3 quality runs a week training plan, developed by advid runners who happen to be exercise physiologists! It was a great plan for me as my body revolts without rest days!

      To be fair the first half I ran I had a 5 month old and was very very out of shape, so running the second 5 years later and being much more prepared, it was easy getting a huge PR. This year will be the test!

      Here is the link:
      http://www2.furman.edu/sites/first/Pages/rlrf.aspx

      Delete
    2. Thanks do much not only for the link but also to know that you ran 5 months post delivering a baby! That's very inspiring :))

      Delete