Monday, January 7, 2013

2013 Running Goals


I don't know what it is about writing my goals that has been so hard to do. I don't do New Year resolutions, but I do like to set some goals both personally and professionally each year. I think goal setting is important, it helps you grow. So here are some of my running related and other personal goals for 2013.....


  1. Run at least 13 races.
  2. Learn to NOT START TOO FAST!! This one kills me ever.single.time. I start races way too  fast, even when I know I started too fast and slow down. I never slow enough. It cost me a sub 1:50 half last year and I won't let it stop me from getting that this year.
  3. PR and break a 1:50 half marathon (see above).
  4. PR and break a 40 minutes 8k. I haven't raced an 8k in a couple of years. This March, watch out Shamrock 8kers, I am finally going to go sub 40 minutes!
  5. Complete Tough Mudder and finally mark this off my to do list!
  6. Not get injured or sick. (This is already a fail, you can read about that in Trail Running Gone Wrong.)
  7. Win my age group in all the small local races I run. (Notice, I didn't say the large races.) They say you peak in you late 30's, well I am in my late 30's. This age group is tough and gets tougher at every race. So not only do I need to PR and be happy with my PR, because according to science it's all down hill from here, I need to win. To me this is my Olympics, the competition is that good! (Side note: I know this must sound arrogant, but if you don't dream big, then you are limiting yourself!)
  8. Incorporate, really incorporate on a regular basis stretching and movement prep to my training plan. This will help tremendously with #6, the injured part not the sick part.
  9. 800 miles. That is just over 15 miles per week. I know to some people this is chump change but for me it will probably be one of the harder challenges on this list.
  10. Run a relay. I have my eye on The Colonial 200, here in Virginia.
  11. Continue to pursue clean eating, menu planning, and hopefully get a vegetable garden put in in February to help with this.
  12. To not let training, blogging, Facebooking, and other time suckers like Pinterest interfere with my family. My boys are getting big and I don't want to miss this precious time I have with them.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Courtney, U run really very fast I really wish I could run as fast as you.
    Loved all your goals, hope u have ur own veg garden by feb :)
    Suryanamaskar are Sun Salutations a yoga exercise which is the best to get a good exercise for the entire body - here is a link
    http://www.yogawiz.com/surya-namaskar-sun-salutation-step-by-step.html
    All the best and wish u achieve each and every goal u have set out to achieve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only run fast in my mind! I'm really not, but a dreamer has to dream!
      We had a garden growing up and although I didn't like pulling weeds when I was a kid, I loved when it was time to harvest. I want my kids to have the same experience and I finally have the space to make it happen.
      I do know what Suryanamaskar is! Well, when you call it Sun Salutations, ;)

      Delete