Saturday, December 8, 2012

I'm back from my blogging hiatus and partially back from my running hiatus. I have been maintaining very low mileage and doing some strength training. It's been kind of nice to just enjoy my runs and most of the time I don't even wear my Garmin. I have no idea what my pace is or actual distance. It's been nice.

When I say low mileage, I mean less than 10 miles. I started to pick it up last week but was thwarted by an random and sudden allergic reaction that sent me straight to the emergency room. I was about 3 miles into my run when my throat started to get tight and my body started to break out into itchy hives. I went straight back to work and within minutes I was puking and asked my coworkers to call 911. My blood pressure was 60/30 and my stomach was killing me. After some Benadryl, a ride in the ambulance, and an IV bag the ER doctor couldn't tell me what happened. I think it was the tuna I ate shortly before my run. I'm not allergic to tuna but that is the only thing I can think of that would have done that. Needless to say, I won't be eating tuna anytime soon!

Thankfully, I have great friends. My husband was out of town and my oldest son was at school, my neighbor Cathy took care of him and my good friend Meagan came to the hospital in rush hour traffic to get me. I can't thank them enough!

Three days later I decided to go for a short run around my neighborhood. I was slightly scared and was really hoping that running wasn't what I was allergic to. I made safely around the 2.5 mile loop and was feeling better about what had happened.

I have been starting to think ahead to my 2013 running goals and keep seeing virtual challenges popping up on the web, it's getting me excited to start training for something. I'm up to 10 miles this week and am planning on a 5 miler later today between batches of Chirstmas cookies. I am hoping to get my base mileage back up and then get serious about my next race.


4 comments:

  1. Hey! Am glad your hail n healthy and back to running!
    Take it easy and don't stress yourself.. have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was scary and totally random! Much better now and ready to start training :)

      Delete
  2. Yikes! That sounds scary....durn tuna. I think I am ready to train for a race and am trying to decide what to commit to. I am ready to leave the granny pace behind. You should share your plan(s) once you come up with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you think the heart rate training was worth it? I am trying to pick the races I want to do this year, I'll let you know once I figure it out :)

      Delete