Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The GREAT Fruit and Vegtable Challenge of 2012

How do I get my picky 5 year old to eat more fruits and vegetables? He was such a good eater when he was a baby and toddler, then something happened. The fruits and vegetables he used to gobble down he started turning his nose up to!



This fall he started kindergarten and getting him to eat has been a challenge. Yes, you read that right...eat, not eat his fruits and vegetables, but eat in general. I pack in him a sandwich, fruit, yogurt or cheese stick, and pretzels or something like for lunch. All things he likes. He takes his lunch to school and comes home with it barely touched. He tells me he wasn't hungry or he doesn't like this or that. Ughh. Not only is he not getting the nutrients his little body needs to grow, he is wasting food. Which drives me nuts! I spend a lot of money and time getting him healthy nutritious food, that at one point in his short life he liked and he wastes it!

He is a picky eater but he is also motivated by money. He has a peanut allergy, so for Halloween I buy the candy that he can't have. This year I sorted his candy and then told him it was worth two dollars, he looked at me and said make it three! He drives a hard bargain. This is where my challenge comes into play...I think I can motivate him with a little friendly competition and dollar bills $$$$.

I am going to challenge my family to eat at least 5 fruits and vegetables a day for 4 weeks. They will get one point for each up to 5 and 2 points for each after that. Because my kids are small and a full 30 days seems like and eternity to them, I am going to reward them at the end of each week and then again at the end of the 30 days. Whoever is in the lead at the end of the week will get a dollar and then the overall winner will get $10 (to hopefully spend on a toy.)I think it will work. I hope it will work.  My goal is to get him to eat more healthy foods and teach him a little about good nutrition. I know childhood obesity is  a huge growing problem in the country but I feel like I have to he opposite problem.

I still need to make a chart but we started it yesterday and Connor made his own chart and seems pretty determined to win! I'll keep you posted :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow.. thats some challenge :) am sure $$ will make it easier :) All the best!

    ReplyDelete