Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Lunch

Today is a big day for our little family. My son goes for his kindergarten assessment interview. In a few short weeks he will be donning a uniform of maroon plaid and heading off for his first day of kindergarten.


This is huge in so many ways. Being our oldest, he is our first child to start school. I am excited and sad at the same time. He is growing up, FAST. Where did the last 5 years go? So much has changed since he came along. We went from a family of 2 to 4, started new jobs, made new friends, and bought a new house. My running has taken on a life of its own and has really become an essential part of who I am. I ran before kids, but not like I run now. It’s what I do.

Even though, he has been going to daycare since he was 5 months old I am a little sad that he is going to school. I even got all choked up when we went to tour his school. I just couldn’t believe he was going to be in a class, listening to a teacher, making more and more independent decisions, and becoming his own person. I know this has to happen, you can’t stop time but this also opens up new challenges for our family, including LUNCH.

Lunch? What does this have to do with anything? Isn’t this a running blog? It is, but it is also about the everyday challenges a mom on the run faces. Making sure my kids have healthy meals is one of the many hurdles I will face when my son goes off to school. It might seem trite but as he grows I will have less and less say in his life and I at least want him to appreciate healthy good tasting food.

My lunch challenge: finding packable portable food for a picky eater with a food allergy!

My son started out as a great eater, eating everything I threw at him, fast forward 5 years and hello Sir Picky Pants. To help me find foods that don’t involve heating and to give me some creative ideas on what to pack for this picky school go’er that are healthy (we are still trying to avoid artificial foods and preservatives) and appealing to him I have been searching the web and wanted to share what I have found.

EasyLunchboxes.com best lunch boxes and coolers

I came across this great blog called The Easy Lunch blog, brought you by Kelly, the maker of EasyLunchBoxes. So cleaver. This is one of those, “why didn’t I think of that” items. The EasyLunchBox is a bento style lunch box, free of BPA. It's also FDA approved. You can buy them on her blog or Amazon for $13.95 for a set of 4 and the matching cooler bag for $7.95. She also has a cookbook coming out soon in conjunction with Trader Joe’s called Trader Joe’s and EasyLunchBox – The BOOK! This a compilation of 32 different social media foodies lunch time favorites that use foods from Trader Joe’s to pack a lunch. Sounds great: Trader Joes + EasyLunchBox = quick healthy lunch for my school bound son. Except, I rarely if ever shop at TJ’s for a couple of reasons, one being everything is labeled processed in a plant that also processes peanuts. It's not worth the risk of sending my kid into anaphalaxis just to get organic food. I will be implementing the concept of ELB and will definitely be checking out all the great blogs that that helped make this cookbook happen. One of my favorite blogs, 100 Days of Real Food is a contributing author and I am looking foward to getting many more great ideas and recipes for my picky son's lunch box!

School is still weeks away, so you maybe thinking what the heck I am thinking worrying about school lunch, but I am always thinking ahead....


What is your favorite thing to send your kiddos off to school with? Or what was your favorite school lunch? Did your mom pack little notes or surprises in your lunches?


4 comments:

  1. We homeschool, so I am of no help with school lunches! I think I would be stumped as to what to pack each day for the kiddos that would be somewhat new and interesting!

    I need to email you to find out how your Moms Run This Town Chapter got started . . . I kind of want to start one in our area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now the boys are in daycare and we don't have to pack lunches she provides it for them, which is great! It's mostly a hot lunch, pasta, chicken nuggets, that sort of thing. My son won't eat a sandwich unless it's Nutella and jelly. He doesn't understand that he is not going to get that everyday. :)

      Check out www.momsrunthistown.com, there is a link for 'local chapters' at the top. You can get all the info there to start a chapter. I started ours about a year ago and I am so glad I did! Here is my email if want more info courtneydp@hotmail.com

      Delete
  2. i plan on packing ike's lunch. he's picky too, but he likes turkey and cheese and apples and carrots. so i plan to wear. that. out. :)

    also, i will pack cute notes, once he can read.

    and .... mexican pizza tied with chicken patty sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got cute notes in my lunch. I was always so jealous of kids that did. When I asked Connor is he wanted a note, he was like No, I'm too cool for a note from my mom! WTH? I thought I was being the cool mom. Oh well!
      I always loved potato bar! I asked for extra cheese sauce! We used to get those little soft pretzel nuggets with it too. Yum!

      Delete