Monday, May 21, 2012

More Than Just an Annoyance?

"You must listen to your body. Run through annoyance but not through pain." - George Sheehan

Ok, ok, I'm listening! My ITB is still bugging me and now my back is jacked up. Yes, jacked up is an official medical term. Two weeks ago at work I was demoing the leg press, I wasn't paying attention to how much weight was on the stack when I went to extend my legs and felt my back wrench. Great. I just prayed I could get up and still feel my feet. I could, but my pelvis is all out of whack again and I am back to where I was last year at this time...numbness and tingling in my right foot and calf.

I am sure you have heard me whine about how last year I was getting something out of the back of my son's closet and jacked my back up, so I will spare you the details. You can read about it HERE and HERE.  It took a very long time to get over all  the symptoms and get back to running. I never got a definitive diagnosis as to what exactly was wrong with me.  I was told a bulging disk, degenerative disk, and/or sacral torsion.  All fun things to deal with. NOT!

No one could tell me if I was doing more harm than good by running so, like any runner, I ran. Running actually helped with my symptoms and made the tingling feeling in my lower extremity go away. Not this time. It's been two weeks and between my back and my ITB I haven't been doing much running. Not that I am in tons of pain, but I am not sure that these symptoms are just annoyances.

So, I am putting myself on the injured reserve. I probably should have done this two weeks ago, but I am a hard head. Plus,  I just couldn't bring myself to admit that I am hurt. I am going to chill for a week or two. Good thing I have my MOTOACTV GPS and Fitness Tracker so I can track all the non-running activities that I am going to be partaking in. (That last line should be read with a bit of sarcasm in your voice!)

Have you ever been injured but just couldn't come to terms with it? How did you cope?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I have - I refuse to believe it's more than just overwork in a given week. I was told back in July that I shouldn't run at all b/c my knees were shot, so I said ok, took the brace and did it anyway. Wrenched my hip in a fall - still ran anyway, although I slowed down. I've eased back into things, and still keep running long runs every few weeks (I'm averaging a half marathon every 1.5 -2 months now). So I'm very stubborn. . . hard headed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thanks for reading! Secondly, you aren't doing to bad for someone that shouldn't be running! You inspire me :)!!

      Delete
  2. Yes!! I hear you loud and clear. I have a foot injury right now, 2 weeks after running my 1st marathon! Talk about wasting the benefits of a runner's high. It is SO hard to take it easy when all I want to do is run. Non-runners just don't understand. I hope you heal really soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and same to you! I totally get it. It's hard not doing not only what I love but what I feel "programed" to do. Thanks for reading and hope you get better soon!!

      Delete