Thursday, April 26, 2012

I have been MIA from my blog lately, mostly because I have had nothing too exciting to blog about.  Plus,  I am still coming down from my half marathons and trying to let my body heal up and my mind find that loving feeling for running I have somewhat lost. I know in general where it is my love is hiding, but I haven’t been trying to really find it either.  We need our time apart.  It’s therapeutic for out relationship. Instead, I have been strength training, doing rehab for my angry ITB, and running when I can, as far as I can, before my knee pain stops me. I have also been enjoying all the “extra” time I have with my family. I say “extra” because I have zero extra time. But I have been making time with my kids a priority, another reason I have been MIA from social media.
Rehab has been going well. I have to give a shout out to my PT Dave, at Atlantic Physical Therapy here in the Beach. If you ever need the services of a good GREAT PT. Go see him. At my evaluation he did the normal tests for ITB tightness/hip strength, he videoed me running on the treadmill, and he also checked my pelvis. But he didn’t find anything jumping out at him. (I know there is a joke in there somewhere.)What he did find is that my gait is kind of funny, my pelvis is out of whack, and he informed me that my shoes might be contributing to the problem. So I am back in my NB 759 and attending therapy twice a week. At the last session my hips are finally starting to straighten out and my ITB is no longer point tender. I ran 5 miles on Monday with little to no pain, so I think I am on the comeback. Good thing too, because I have a 5k next weekend, The SJA Stingray 5k. It's a huge race, lots of Kenyans and prize $.  No, not really, just a small church 5k. It's fun and I have placed in my age group every time I do this race and I would like to keep it that way, although I won’t be surprised if I get smoked this year.
In Defense of Food: An Eater's ManifestoI have also been reading up on what "clean eating" is suppose to mean and started to re-evaulate what my family is putting in there bodies. After all, you are what you eat. I have seen some pretty disturbing stuff out there about artificial colors and chemical additives and their affects on children.  I have posted a couple of articles on my FB page, which you should LIKE if you haven't done so already. :) I always thought I ate relatively well compared to the average American. I have made it a point to give my kids whole foods and to limit the junk, but I have found this harder and harder to do as they get older and my time becomes more stretched. I buy organic when I feel rich, but the last time I checked on organic milk prices, my eyes buldged out of my head. I have a book on hold at the library, called In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. It's suppose to help guide you in choosing healther foods. I think I owe it to my family to get back on track with healthier selections and what better time of the year than now, in the spring, with fresh produce becoming readily available. I'll keep you posted on my journey into cleaner eating.
Good talk, we'll do it again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment