Saturday, March 10, 2012

Disney Princess Half Marathon Race Recap: Part I



The Disney Princess Half Marathon has been on my bucket list since before I had my second son, who is now 2+ years old. I saw the ad in Runners World and thought, "Wow, I am going to do this race and drag bring my whole family to Disney, making it a great family vacation." I only wanted to wait until my oldest was able appreciate a trip to the Happiest Place on Earth, Disney World, and my youngest was a little more self-sufficient.  Fast forward 2 years and here we are.  Not only did we go to Disney, our good friends and neighbors, The Parkers went too.  I easily talked Meagan into running the race with me. She started running last year and I am happy to say has been hooked on running ever since. Plus it was a huge bonus that I got to run this with my friend!

This is my first race reports since starting my blog and I was hoping to tell you about how the stars aligned and all my training paid off and that I crushed my goal of sub 1:50 half but, unfortunately, that is not the case. Before I let my story of illness and despair unfold, let me share with you all the little things that make running a big race so much fun...

The Expo

Disney rolls out the red carpet to really make you feel like your vacation dollars are well spent. For real, there was a red carpet.  


Meagan and I stopped for a quick picture before heading into the expo.

We both had to pick up multiple packages including, our kids race bibs and t-shirts, our bibs, our race shirts, and wrist bands for entry into the race retreat. I have been to several big expo’s and this one was probably the biggest or at least the most spread out. The packet pick-up was a little confusing or maybe we were little high on pixie dust but we almost didn’t get our wrist bands for the race retreat! Oops.

Next up...the vendor area. There were a lot of familiar brands there and two new ones that I had the pleasure of trying. The first was Yurbuds.  I have heard great things about them and was psyched I was able to try them out.  Long story short, they.are.amazing! I have little ears and I can never get ear buds to stay in place, but these did, even when the Yurbud rep gave them a tug.  I want a pair. (Hopefully my husband sees this in time for my bday!)

The other vendor was Bee Cause Charms. These are the cutest little shoe charms! You should totally check them out. They have everything from pink ribbons to this leprechaun...


I got this one...

and when my kids grow up to be ridiculous teenagers I am going to sneak this one onto their sneakers just to mess with them...

We also saw some shirts with some cute sayings on them but that I am too up tight reserved and classy  to actually wear.



or...


Oh, and if you haven't tried NUUN yet, you are missing out. I love this stuff. It tastes great and it has really made a difference as part of my fueling plan. I have a bit of a sensitive stomach and if I am not properly hydrated when I go out for a long run, I end up with stomach cramps all day. It's miserable. Thankfully,  I grabbed a tube of it and got a cute water bottle with my purchase. (This will be clear in Part II)

After checking out numerous vendors we headed back to the resort a little lighter in our pockets and covered in glitter. (For some reason people intentionally covered themselves in it. I bumped into one person and I had to explain to my husband that I really was at the expo and not at the club. Since when are princesses covered in body glitter? I googled pictures of body glitter and I can't even put them on here, lets just say there was a pole in most of the thumbnails!!)

 Anyway, we were glad we had our packets and picked up some cool trinkets and we were both looking forward to the kids races the next day. You can read all about the kids races here.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that we were able to go on this trip with you guys too! We had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete