Friday, January 13, 2012

Two Kinds of Runners

I was once told that there are two types of runners...Those that are injured and those that are not injured-YET! To my dismay I seem to be falling in the injured category more and more frequently and now I am sick.

Here is my rundown of injuries and illness…

I went to the doctor on Wednesday for my chest congestion and cough. I got some meds and I seem to be feeling much better. I finally slept through the night last night. I can't remember the last time that happened. Tomorrow is my
Moms Run This Town group run. We meet once a month at one of the most beautiful places in Hampton Roads First Landing State Park. I haven't run since last Saturday and I am supposed to do 10 with my running buddy.  I hate to disappoint her, but I don't think I can or should do 10 miles.

Last spring on Mother's Day (of all days) I was cleaning out my son's closet and ended up with a bulging disc in my low back. I was out of work for a week and didn't run for 2 months. I thought my life was over. (I know there are worse things, but I was really depressed). I have been running since late June, with no real problems where my back is concerned, except for the on again off again
parthesia in my right foot and leg. This seems to get better and stay under control when I am active. Today, after a week of being lazy, my foot, for lack of a better description, is warm and fuzzy.  Next Wednesday I am going for an EMG. This is a very painful procedure that I am dreading. My doctor wants to do this first before they will refer me to pain management for an epidural steroid injection. Which is what I need and I have no idea why they are making me get the EMG. It is going to suck. Plus it is going to make me sore, so this will most likely affect my training for the second week in a row.

To top it all off, I think I am getting arthritis. I guess my left ankle felt left out,  WTH! Arthritis!?!? That is for old people ;). It has been sore and achy since last week’s 8 miler.  And get this...I have somehow developed an allergy to NSAIDs. No naproxen, no ibuprofen.   I haven’t been able to take anything for fear of my face swelling. The last time I took it I looked like I had lip implants that went very wrong. Kind of like that dumb b* from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills or Donald duck. Take your pick. Plus it could end up leading to a more serious reaction like anaphylaxis.  


So that is where I am with my injuries/illness. My coworker told me I suffered from overuse long term disorder also known as O-L-D and stop running. NEVER! I would rather deal with aches and pains than increase my risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, diabetes, etc…


So for now I run. I know someday I won’t be able to run and will have to find something else to keep me going. I just hope that day is far into the future (like when I am eighty).


Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment