Sunday, January 29, 2012

MRTT, 11 Miler and Freeze Your Thorns Off 5k

The Disney Princess Half Marathon is getting close! 25 days to go...I spent the first part of my weekend in Richmond where I scored some cute little hair ties to top off my outfit for the race. I was going to go with a Belle inspired running outfit, but I decided to scrap that idea and go with Moms RUN This Town colors. There are going to be a bunch of us there from around the country, including our founder, Pam. I am very excited to meet other MRTTers! It will be nice to represent in teal and lime green. Besides, isn't it like Belle to buck the system and do things her own way? So instead of being dressed like a Disney princess I will be a princess mom!


We headed out early to First Landing to get in 11 miles. I was also using part of my run to count towards The Boring Runners Freeze Your Thorns Off Virtual 5k. I know I have said in the past how much I like doing virtual races. They give you a little extra incentive to get out the door. Plus they are usually free and have great prizes. So why not? I forgot to check my watch at the 5k mark and looked down well after mile 4, so I am not exactly sure what my time was. I also forgot my camera so no pictures this time. Fortunately, I didn't freeze anything off. Our winter has been so mild and the past few days have been in the low 60's. Great for training purposes.


I am so glad I am maxing out my training next week at 12 miles. Today's eleven gave me a chance to see how I will fair in those last few miles. We took it slow and I felt really good until the last mile or so. My legs were tired. I didn't get to train as much as I would have liked this past week and if you read my last post you know I have been a little wiped out. Plus with only running 3 day's per week, I really need to get the extra mileage in. I am loosely following Run Less Run Faster. They actually had me up to 15 this week, but I am not ready to push that kind of mileage. (I am old and broke, hahaha). It also gave me an opportunity to try out my fueling strategy. (I have a sensitive tummy). Today I tried Jelly Belly Cherry Sport Beans. They were very tasty. I eat 4 every 30 minutes and it worked. No cramps, no trips to the potty. I felt great. I have some Honey Stinger Chews for next week.I have been wanting to try them for a while. I chose the beans today because they aren't gummies and I thought they would stick to my teeth less. Nothing like trying to run while picking food out of your teeth. So depending on how next week goes I  will have hoped to have found a cure for my sensitive stomach.

How about you? What is your favorite feul? Have you ever done a virtual race?

2 comments:

  1. Ok, seriously. I AM going to meet one weekend for a run and meet y'all. I teach cycling every Sat morning at Hilltop Y, so my long runs always have to be on Sunday mornings.

    I can't chew anything while running. The thought makes me sick. I do GU and preferably vanilla because it will slide down easily. LOL

    I haven't done a virtual run...yet. I guess I will do the Sherry run during the VIFL.

    Hope to meet you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should meet up for a run! I want to meet you :) And you described eating GU to a "t"...it slides down for sure, hahaha. I am sitting out of the VIFL, but I think I am going to head over and gets some photos and cheer you all on :)

    ReplyDelete